A new location was announced for the Wyandotte County Back-to-School Fair on Saturday, Aug. 7.
The fair will be from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 7 at the Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools Central Office, 2010 N. 59th St., Kansas City, Kansas.
Because of COVID-19 concerns and the new location, there have been changes made to the event, according to a spokesman.
At the Wyandotte County Back-to-School Fair, Wyandotte County students receive school supplies, backpacks, immunizations, health screenings and other community resources at no cost.
Details about this year’s event
One of the key objectives of the Back-to-School Fair is to provide students with a variety of health-related screenings and services prior to going back to school.
At this year’s Back-to-School Fair, students can get the medical services inside the facility. Medical services that will be provided on a first come, first-served basis include:
• Sports physicals and school physicals, provided by the University of Kansas Medical Center Department of Family Medicine
• COVID-19 vaccinations for students 12 and over provided by the Unified Government Public Health Department
• School immunizations for students of all ages, also provided by the Unified Government Public Health Department
• Vision screenings provided by the Kansas City Downtown Lion’s Club
• Dental and vision screenings provided by Adventure Dental
Items that are available for free while supplies last from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. to Wyandotte County students only:
• 2,400 backpacks filled with school supplies, courtesy of the Wyandotte County Back-to-School Fair Committee
• New books donated by the Kansas City, Kansas, Public Library system
• Hygiene kits courtesy of the Kansas City Kansas Community College
• Dental kits provided by Adventure Dental
The Wyandotte County Back-to-School Fair Planning Committee is composed of volunteers from various nonprofit and for-profit entities that work together to raise funds and coordinate the activities of the fair.
All support received is used to purchase backpacks and supplemental school supplies. The Planning Committee thanked sponsors for this year’s Back-to-School Fair:
• Unified Government – Hollywood Casino-Schlitterbahn Vacation Village Grant Fund
• Kansas City Kansas School Foundation for Excellence
• Kansas City Kansas Community College
• Board of Public Utilities
• Kansas Gas
School and sports physicals also available from Vibrant Health
In addition to the school and sports physicals provided at the Back to School Fair, Vibrant Health will also offer both sports and school physicals by appointment only on Saturday, Aug. 14. To schedule an appointment or get details, call 913-342-2552.
For more information about the event:
• Visit https://kcksfoundation.org/events/2021-wyandotte-county-back-to-school-fair/details.html
• Find it on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WyandotteCountyBackToSchoolFair